Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Computer fun again

It is so much fun to have computer again. I was so bored with Microsoft and Having to get an Anti Virus, and Spam Killers and who knows what else in order to get Windows to work.

I got so fed up with Windows when my XP Pro slowed down to a crawl and nothing was wrong with the computer. It actually took 4 hours to boot up and once I was there I could do nothing. I went this routine for two weeks. After which the computer only took 4 mins to boot up and I could do almost anything I wanted but it was slower than normal. Usually 5 yo 7 mins to close down. I finally gave up and on a whim and because I wanted a Linux machine I put a CD in it and moved on.

In one hour I had removed Windows and installed Linux. I had Debian on a system but could not get Debian to read my graphic card. I had web pages and info pages and no way to close them.

So Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and OpenSUsE were the distros I was going to move to. On the live cd's they did read my hardware. I finally decided to move to Ubuntu in the end.

I made the move and have not looked back. I do need to find a web cam that will work with Linux. The printer works fine the speakers are fine everything works but the web cam. There is a huge list of web cams from which to choose from. But a $10 web cam will not work with Linux but a $75 web cam will. So free only goes so far.

If that is my only problem is having to fork over extra cash for an expensive web cam so be it. I was able to save about $300 just on the Operating System and thousands more on other software.

Best of all, it was alot of fun. The way computers used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment